Project Manager (f/m/x) for Transnational Journalistic Project
- 100% employment
- starting as soon as possible
- limited contract until 31.12.2024
- location: Berlin
- application deadline: 11.01.2023
Starting from 01.01.2023, n-ost implements the new project European Ukraine Desk (EUD). The overarching goal of EUD is to foster exchange and collaboration between media in Ukraine, and France, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Serbia in order to strengthen mutual understanding among media professionals and to counter disinformation.
To reach this goal, the following activities will be implemented:
- newsletter programme, to inform on media discourses from within and regarding Ukraine, informing Ukrainian media professionals on the media discourses in the project countries, and vice versa
- fellowship programme, to bring together media professionals from the above mentioned countries. The fellowship program consists of study trips and a subgrant program
- media hub activities in Kyiv, to give opportunities for international and national media professionals in Ukraine to connect/network, mutually support and jointly gain new expertise (e.g. networking events, workshops, panel discussions)
The project is funded by the European Commission.
- As project manager of EUD you are, together with the project coordinator, one of the key actors to make the implementation a success.
- You enjoy being the linking person between many stakeholders in Ukraine, Germany, France, Hungary, Italy, Serbia, and further media professionals from all across Europe.
- You have a great ability to facilitate border-crossing collaborations and an eye for journalistic details. You develop and implement a strategy for media cooperation and networking.
- You are based in Berlin and available for business trips of up to 3 weeks to the project countries.
- You are responsible for the adequate administration and management of the project, including financial reporting
- set up and contribute weekly to the newsletter reflecting German debates on Ukraine
- pro-active distribution of the newsletter in Germany
- active promotion of the project and the newsletter at relevant events and in appropriate networks
- creative, advisory participation in the development of supported publications within the subgrant program
- connecting person for Ukrainian authors who want to publish in Germany, and for German editors seeking Ukrainian perspectives
- Development and implementation of a monitoring toolkit according to the LogFrame
- conceptual development of the pilot project into a follow-up project
- Strong project management skills, preferably experienced with the administration of an EU grant
- Experiences in journalistic contexts and strong knowledge of media landscape in Germany, and preferably its discourses on Ukraine
- reliable network to German media professionals
- very good communication and intercultural skills, willingness to work closely in a team with other journalists and project managers
- Networking mindset, enthusiasm for bringing journalists together
- Good understanding of cross-border collaborative journalism and a high motivation to put this methods into practice in your daily work
- Strong proficiency in English and German
- knowledge of media landscape in (one of) the project countries is an asset
- can-do attitude
- full time employment (40 hours/week), timely limited contract (until 31.12.2024), extension is desired
- competitive salary
- cooperation in an international team
- opportunity to shape a long-term project
- varied everyday life in a NGO with possibility of remote work
- work on a highly relevant and current topic with tangible impact
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, age, and sexual orientation and identity. We are also aware that no resume is perfect, so we do not require applicants to meet all of the above criteria.
n-ost is a European network of journalists specialising in cross-border cooperation. The focus of our work is (Eastern) Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia. As a media NGO n-ost implements projects that aim at networking and supporting media professionals, promoting quality journalism and strengthening media literacy. Around 25 employees work together in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg and various home office locations.
Matthias Jochmann is looking forward to your applications by 11.01.2023. Please upload a cover letter including your salary expectations and the earliest starting date, and your CV combined as ONE PDF of max. 2 MB using this form until Wednesday, 11.01.2023.
Please name the PDF as follows: EUD-PM_(your name)
If you have any questions, please contact Matthias Jochmann via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, the n-ost team is on holidays 24.12.2022 – 02.01.2023.
Interviews are expected to take place between 18.01. – 27.01.2023.