Editorial Coordinator for the international project “Spheres of Influence Uncovered”
50% employment or honorary, starting 1.2.2023, 24 months contract (possibility of extension)
The project: n-ost implements a new project, Spheres of Influence Uncovered in cooperation with partners from Central Asia (Anhor.uz), South Caucasus (JAM News) and the Western Balkans (BIRN). Through connecting and empowering data, investigative and other journalists, we aim to promote independent media coverage and a critical public discourse on the economic involvement of powerful neighboring states and economic actors.
Your role: As editorial coordinator your main responsibility is the conceptual development and the implementation of project activities that have a journalistic output. In cooperation at eye level with project partners you are responsible for content production and distribution. You develop and implement a strategy for media cooperation and networking, as well as dissemination and promotion of project publications on a larger pan-European level to maximize the impact of the project findings and activate discourses outside of the project countries.
- Journalistic/editorial professional background OR active profile (this position could be combined with other activities)
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: a) foreign investments (Chinese, Russian, EU) and its political and societal implications for the receiving countries & business journalism in general OR b) regional: Central Asia, South Caucasus, Western Balkans OR c) data & investigative journalism.
- Experience with OR good understanding of cross-border collaborative journalism and a high motivation to put this methods into practice in your daily work; very good communication and intercultural skills, willingness to work closely in a team with other journalists and project managers
- Networking mindset, enthusiasm for bringing journalists together - no “lonely wolf” mentality
- Broad professional network (mostly European) and willingness to use it for the benefit of the project OR high motivation and skills to build one; willingness to represent the project in particular and n-ost as an organization in professional networks, during international events, with potential donors etc.
- Basic understanding of project management
- Strong proficiency in English (the main working language), command of one of the languages of the project countries would be an advantage
- Readiness to work in a project rhythm: there would be some times (e.g. February 2023) when more of your time is required, followed by phases of less involvement in the project - 50% (20h/week) is a rough total volume
- Readiness to travel to Berlin and project countries from time to time
- Willingness to commit to a long-term project within an international project team
- exciting journalistic working environment in a media network & media politics
- cooperation in an international team
- opportunity to shape a long-term well-budgeted project
- varied everyday life in an NGO with possibility of remote work
- professional growth and exchange in various fields
- work on a highly relevant and current topic with a chance of real social impact
- employment subject to social security contributions in Germany (if desired) with appropriate remuneration
n-ost is a European network of journalists specializing in cross-border cooperation. The focus of our work is (Eastern) Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia. As a media NGO n-ost implements projects that aim at networking and supporting media professionals, promoting quality journalism and strengthening media literacy. Around 25 employees work daily together between our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg and various home office locations.
Ms. Elizaveta Kucherova is looking forward to your applications (CV + motivation letter + relevant documents + salary expectations) as ONE PDF of max. 2 MB using this form until Sunday, 08.01.2023.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Kucherova via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, the n-ost team is on holidays 24.12.2022 – 02.01.2023.
Interviews are expected to take place in the week of 16.01. – 20.01.2023.